Food & Drink
It's a tricky one. Your editor is a pretty staunch pescatarian and you have to report back that your favourite dish of four on the Two Cats taster menu included shaved lambs heart. Tough gig. Totally worth it.
Everyone knows Etsy is the online home of crafty and jewellery hits and, if you didn't, maybe best to just nod along and look knowing. Less explored, howevs, is the oodles of other goodies — from food to photos — that their well-preened website houses.
Chances are you've visited the Lost & Found and managed to not get too bogged down in the tale of Hettie G Watson, Birmingham's original it-girl, botanical scholar and the inspiration behind the entire Bennett's Hill bar. That's probs for the best being as the entire yarn is a fib of fabulous proportions. Like that £350 million Boris earmarked for the NHS — she never existed. Nevertheless, botany is the focus of the venue, the menu and the cocktails in her honour. And the cocktails get the most attention.
In Italy, meals are events. Stock your cupboards with these Italiano staples to make fete-worthy food any time. Or simply eat the pesto with a spoon.
In the week that saw a new speakeasy launched on Colmore Row (we've been sworn to secrecy, but you really don't need to be Miss Marple to work out the deets) we thought it worth reminding you about the originators of the underground Brum bar scene: Smultronställe.
Hard scientific fact: Scandinavian cities are cool. Stockholm, possibly the coolest, has more on offer than hipster hangouts and designer shops. In the summer, the archipelago city is drenched in sun, with the longest day stretching over 20 hours of daylight. Here’s how to spend every minute of that time.
Up to 60% of the human body is made up of water. If you're anything like us the remaining 40% is pretty much entirely coffee. This weekend our caffeinated excitement is boiling over because 40 independent coffee shops, vendors and makers are coming to Birmingham Coffee Festival, on Saturday and Sunday from 10am. Here's the hap-haps.
Is it legal to marry a cocktail yet? We only ask because Tapas Revolution has collaborated with the award-laden Cocktail Trading Co to create a new cocktail menu of classics with a Spanish twist, and we'd probably spend the rest of our lives with the Sparkling Rose Margarita
An understated clutch of cooks have changed the world. From uni kitchens, to right fancy dinner parties, the seminal works of these six wonder women probably had something to do with it.
Oh, so you’re the kind of person that takes brunch seriously? Let us re-acquaint you with Tom’s Kitchen.